7/14/09

I guess this grad school thing is really happening.

Online registration takes place this week, which means I will actually be going to school and taking classes in the very near future. Here's the lineup for this coming semester:

Typography I
An "introduction to the concrete and conceptual aspects of typography" and an exploration of the "historical and current forms of alphabetic communications." Let the geekery begin.

Visual Communications I
This course will teach me a "disciplined, systematic approach to concept development" and help me master the "problem-solving process applied to graphic design." Sounds legit.

Visual Perception
This is a survey of the "physiological and historical perspectives of visual perception." It's unclear what that actually means, but I'm getting a big red flag from the fact that the course description mentions "readings, presentations, discussions, papers and visiting lecturers." That sounds a bit too academic for me.

Digital Design
Here's something I know nothing about: "the core ideas and technologies surrounding image-making, sound and time-dependent media." At least I can rest assured that "the primary focus in this class is on the learning process, which puts more emphasis on the conceptual thinking behind each assignment than on the finished products" - so I don't actually have to do anything well as long as I learn how one would hypothetically do something well.

And that's my course load. It was pretty easy to figure out, because the Assistant Chair of the GradComD Department told me exactly what to take (I love having no agency). She also told me that my prerequisites were waived (I'm apparently qualified to go to this school?), so I'll actually be able to fulfill all my requirements in two years. I guess I'm really getting a degree.

No comments: