7/21/09

Dear job market, Please exist. Love, Sally.

I've spent the last two days at work desperately searching for jobs. Even ignoring the bitter irony of the fact that I spend eight hours a day at an unpaid internship doing nothing but apply for paying jobs, this process has been incredibly depressing.

In the past 29 hours I have applied for 32 jobs: 23 freelance design/illustration gigs, 8 bartending or hostessing positions, and 1 desperate response to a Craigslist ad seeking a series of hand-knit baby hats (this is what my last resorts are starting to look like). So far, I've received two responses - one potential yes from a guy looking for a tattoo design, and one big no from a musician seeking album art. I'm assuming the other 30 are also no's.

If I have to apply for 32 jobs just to get a few responses, how many applications am I going to have to file before I actually land something that pays me?

No comments: