10/2/09

What the fuck?

So maybe I spoke too soon. As in, maybe I shouldn't have assumed that my ability to get a job also applied to my ability to hold down a job. Because today, halfway through my second day as a studio assistant, I got fired.

Let me preface this by saying that, since I was in the middle of working two jobs, getting fired from one isn't the total end of the world. And, since I totally forgot to cancel the job interview that I had scheduled prior to signing onto the job that just blew up in my face, I've still got another potential freelance gig in the near future (apparently if you make enough mistakes, they cancel each other out and you're left in a relatively neutral situation). Still, it totally sucks.

So here's an abridged version of the story: I screwed up one thing. My boss decided that I didn't inherently possess the perfectionism that she sought in an assistant. She explained that she didn't have the time to train people, and therefore needed to hire someone who already knew how to do everything perfectly. Many apologies and regrets followed, because she thought I was awesome and great and smart and loved having me around. End of story.*

Aside from the fact that getting fired sucked, I still have my other job and I'm fairly confident that I won't lose that gig anytime soon. And hopefully the interview on Monday will go well. But let this be a lesson to everyone out there: you can apparently get spontaneously fired by someone who likes you. Go figure.

*The irony of this spiel is that it's the exact same explanation I got from the guy who broke up with me last week. Apparently there is a whole world of people out there who feel no sense of cognitive dissonance when saying something like "I think you're amazing and perfect, but logistically we are incompatible." Is it really possible to be so left-brain dominant? Are feelings irrelevant? Whatever happened to subjectivity and emotions and all those things that make us people instead of robots? I don't understand. Anyway, I'm thoroughly unsatisfied with the pitiful state of humanity.